Kennedy Ferry -- West side marker
The marker on the west side of the river is on the river side of Highway 62 across from the Riffles on the Rogue Motel, on the north side of Shady Cove about one mile north of Indian Creek. In August 2015 It was between two houses, behind a wood pile enclosed with a white trellis framework and a “NO PARKING” sign was attached to it. It is on private property but can be seen from Highway 62. If permission to get closer is desired, contact Lloyd Scheppmann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The inscription on both of these markers reads:
ROGUE RIVER FERRY
The Kennedy or Nail Toll Ferry operated near this site from 1874 to 1890. Jackson County established a ferry in 1891. It operated until it was replaced by the Shady Cove Bridge in 1921. Ferrymen included John M, Black, John Watkins, E.W. Bliven and John Blass.
Other information on this ferry:
A man by the name of Kennedy operated a ferry here before 1877 without a license.
On July 3, 1878, Leroy Nail filed application to operate a ferry near the side of the Kennedy Ferry. The License for this ferry was renewed in 1879 into 1880.
In February, 1890, a disastrous flood destroyed all ferries on the Rogue River.
In 1891 a petition was filed for a free ferry at the side of the Nail Ferry. The County Court accepted the bid of A. McNeil to construct the ferry.
John M. black was the ferry man from 1891 to 1896 and John Watkins from 1895 to 1902. E. W. Bliven operated it from 1902 to 1903 and John Blass from 1903 to 1921 when the ferry was discontinued.