CCC Camp: Fish Lake Shelter
From Medford, drive about 5.5 miles to the beginning of Highway 140. Turn right onto Highway 140 and drive about 32 miles to the entrance to the Fish Lake Campground and Resort. Turn right, and then right again to the campground at the fork where the left turn goes to the resort. Staying to the left, the CCC Shelter is about 0.1 miles on the left by the lake shore.
North 42 degrees, 23 minutes, 37.1 seconds
West 122 degrees, 19minutes, 4.7 seconds
According to information on the National Register of Historic Places, the Fish Lake Shelter (NRIS Reference # 00000503) was built in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps on the north shore of Fish Lake. The shelter, or community kitchen, was designed to serve people traveling to Fish Lake for recreation. The shelter and campground provided work for over 60 men during a four-month period in 1936. Detailed information is provided in the National Register of Historic Places Continuation Sheet noted above. It is available on line.