The site is located at the intersection of Sterling Creek Road and the Little Applegate Road. The site is 19 miles from Medford, via Jacksonville, Ruch, the Upper Applegate Road and the Little Applegate Road.
The mining town of Buncom was first settled in 1851 by Chinese miners, according to Wikipedia. There was a general store, and, in 1861 a saloon.
A post office was established there in 1896. As the gold in the area was depleted, the post office closed in 1918 and the town was abandoned. The site has three remaining buildings, the post office, cookhouse and bunkhouse. The site is on private property but easily viewed by the public. Please respect the buildings, and take only photographs.