The cemetery is located just off Sterling Creek Road. From Jacksonville turn onto Sterling Creek Road from it's intersection with Cady Road. The cemetery is located 6.3 miles from Cady Road, on the left. Go a short distance up a dirt access road to an ornamental iron gate, which is a work of art in it's own right. The gate is not locked so the cemetery can be entered where vehicles can turn around.
This marker is located at the site of the Sterlingville Cemetery, which is all that remains of the town of Sterlingville. The town was established near a gold strike made by James Sterling and Aaron Davis in 1854. At one point the town had a population of 1200.