McKee Covered Bridge
This marker is located at the McKee Bridge over the Applegate River.
From Medford, take Highway 238 through Jacksonville to Ruch, about 13 miles. Just past the Ruch shopping area, turn left onto the Upper Applegate Road. Drive about 8.6 miles (past the Star Ranger Station) to McKee Bridge. At the sign, turn left and drive a short distance to park and walk to the historical marker and Bridge. On the left of the bridge is a U.S. Forest Service picnic area with a popular swimming hole.
The covered bridge was built in 1917 to allow better access from Jacksonville to the Blue Ledge Copper Mine and for logging in the area. The mine operated from 1906 until 1919. The historical marker was installed in 1976 by the Southern Oregon Historical Society and the Applegate Valley Bicentennial Committee. For more information on the bridge, there is an article in the March, 1988 issue of the Table Rock Sentinel, page 12. This is available on line through the Southern Oregon Historical Society website.