1863 Military Road 2: Fourbit Ford Campground


This sign marks the point at which the Old Military Road, built in 1863, crossed Fourbit Creek. The sign is located in the Fourbit Ford Campground, across the road from the outhouse located between camp sites #4 and #5. It is some distance from the road, and is partly obscured by some trees.

To reach the campsite, take the Butte Falls – Fish Lake Road from Highway 140, and turn off between mile post 25 and 26, at the sign for the Whiskey Springs Campground. This is the Parker Meadows Road. Continue past the turnoff to the Whiskey Springs Campground for about a mile, and turn left into the Fourbit Ford Campground.

This Road was built by the U.S. Army in 1863 to connect Jacksonville to the new military post at Fort Klamath. It was used until 1909.

The historical information shown on the sign was researched and written by Jeff LaLande, who recalls the sign being erected in the 1990's.

Information on the site is included in forms for the National Register of Historic Places under National Register Information #79002068.

Research Date
Marker Placed By