Camp Baker Marker
To reach the plaque, take Colver Road from Talent toward Phoenix, and turn left onto Camp Baker Road. Drive about 0.9 miles to the intersection with Charlotte Lane, which is a left turn from Camp Baker Road. The Plaque is set in a stone on the South West corner of the intersection.
A plaque commemorating the location of Camp Baker was placed at the intersection of Camp Baker Road and Charlotte Lane, just west of the town of Phoenix. According to an article in the October 5, 1962 issue of the Medford Mail Tribune, the plaque was placed by the Boy Scouts and the Jackson County Historical Society (it is assumed that this is the current Southern Oregon Historical Society).
According to the marker, the camp was used during the Rogue River Indian war and then reactivated during the Civil War, when it was garrisoned by the Baker Guards, named for Colonel Edwin Dickinson Baker, a sitting U.S. Senator from Oregon who was killed in the Civil War battle of Ball’s Bluff in Virginia on October 21, 1861.