To reach this marker, drive north on Interstate 5 from Medford, exiting at exit 40 for Gold Hill. Turn left onto the road crossing the freeway and bear left onto Old Stage Road. The Dardanelles store and gas station are about 0.2 miles from the freeway exit. The marker is located on the right side of the gas station.
The marker commemorates the location of the first post office in Jackson County. It was opened in 1852 and operated by Col. William T’Vault. He was also the editor of the first newspaper in Oregon, the Oregon Spectator.
The marker was created by the Siskiyou Pioneer Sites Foundation and was moved to its current site with the assistance of E Clampus Vitus.